Are you familiar with the risk factors of sleep apnea? Although sleep apnea tends to be a common oral health disorder, there are numerous factors that can increase your risk for the condition. Listed below are common risk factors for sleep apnea:
– If you are a male, generally speaking, you are at a higher risk for sleep apnea.
– Individuals over the age of 40 are at a higher risk for sleep apnea.
– Common sleep apnea risks include sinus and allergy problems, as well as nasal blockages and obstructions.
– If you suffer from any genetic conditions including a deviated septum, an oversized tongue, oversized tonsils, or a small jaw in relation to your head, you are at a greater risk for sleep apnea.
– If you have a family history of sleep apnea, you are more likely to develop the condition.
– Sleep apnea can arise due to blocked signals from your brain or a blocked airpipe that restricts airflow.
If you think you have sleep apnea and are in need of a sleep apnea treatment, Dr. Kyle M. Triggs and our team at Alaska Dental Associates will make sure that your oral health conditions are properly treated. To schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning at our dentist office in Anchorage, Alaska, please contact us at 907-562-2284. We will do our best to assist you in any way we can.