Alternative treatments such as chewing sugarless gum and using mouthwash are both considered effective for keeping your mouth clean but are not to be used as substitutes for brushing and flossing. If you are on the go, and simply do not have the time to brush or floss thoroughly, you can use an alternative method to bridge the gap until the time becomes available to do so.
Listed below are some of the lesser-known benefits that products such as sugarless gum and mouthwash have that can protect your teeth:
– Studies have shown that if you chew sugarless gum for at least a period of twenty minutes after eating, it can rinse away bacteria and food particles to help protect you better from cavities.
– Sugarless gum can increase your saliva flow, which contains ingredients that can deactivate the harmful acids caused by bacteria that can destroy tooth enamel.
– Sugarless gum can help reverse heartburn or acid buildup in the esophagus.
– Mouthwash can destroy halitosis (bad breath) and tooth decay.
– Mouthwash can be used as a weapon in the fight against cavities by preventing plaque buildup.
– Mouthwash can slow the speed of and even prevent gingivitis, which is the beginning stages of gum disease.
For more wonderful and amazing oral health care tactics recommended by our team at Alaska Dental Associates, give us a call at 907-562-2284. If you would like to book an appointment with Dr. Kyle M. Triggs at our dentist office in Anchorage, Alaska, please contact us during regular office hours. With a little love and some support, your smile can be as perfect as you want it to be.